Home for the Holidays! Since it is the season of giving we think the greatest gift we can give to our beloved felines is a forever home. AS/AP is offering special adoption rates from now until Christmas! All adoption fees for cats and kittens will be just $50! You can read about our available cats here on the webpage. All of our cats are spayed/neutered, UTD on vaccines and have regular vet checks. Looking for more than one cat? Inquire at the shelter about special rates for them too! We have so many lovable cats and kittens to choose from, let's get them Home for the Holidays!
Saturday, Dec 9 from 3-8 pm AS/AP will have a booth at the Kriskindlmarkt! Stop by and see all the wonderful items we will be offering.
Jane Schaitel Memorial Adoption Week
August 13-19 2017
* $50 to adopt this week, get a 2nd for only $1 more!
* Jane's birthday is Aug 15th, apply this day and if you're
approved for adoption, you will get a birthday gift!
* Black Cat Appreciation Day is Aug 17th. "Orange is the new
Black." Lots of orange kitties....any orange cat adopted this
week will go home with a free bed.
* International Homeless Animal Day is Aug 19th. Any cat
applied for on Aug 19th will go home with a free carrier to
help him/her to their forever home. (if the cat is orange,
adopter gets a choice of the bed or the carrier)
Call (608) 269-3525 and leave a message for appointment to visit or message us on Facebook!
With so many cats and kittens, we're going crazy! For a limited time, adoption fees are only $50! Get a second cat for only $1 more! Your adoption fee includes all vaccinations, spay/neuter and veterinarian health check. We have so many fabulous felines for you to choose from! Take a look at our adoptable cat album to see them all! Call 269-3525 and leave a message to arrange a visit or you can message us on our Facebook page.
AS/AP is holding a rummage sale on Fri, June 23 and Sat, June 24 2017 at 917 North St. in Sparta. It will be from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. on both days. All proceeds benefit the kitties at the shelter! Stop by and see what we have !
August 14th - August 20th
Here is a heads up on a special event coming up in August. It is called "Jane Schaitel Memorial Adoption Week" which runs from August 14th to August 20th. We will feature something each day plus running great specials that whole week! More details closer to the event!
HALF PRICE ADOPTION FEES!
Now through December 21st, all adoption fees are half price!
Plus you get a gift!
The cats want to start the new year in a new home with a new family. Let's get them HOME!
Share to get the word out as much as possible.
The summer is winding down, and soon we will all begin preparing for Fall. This summer has been a good one, and here is a quick look at all that has happened and what is to come!
News and Upcoming Events
Thank you to all of you who attended our annual AS/AP Cat Shelter Rummage sale! All of the profits raised go to running the shelter and to the cats. This year we had many wonderful donations and supporters who helped make this possible. Your support is greatly appreciated!
If you are looking for a way to support the shelter, as well as spend some time with some wonderful cats and kittens, then consider becoming a regular volunteer! The shelter is currently looking for volunteers to join their cleaning crew. Volunteers commit to about 4 hours once or twice a month. Duties will include cleaning out the cages and litter boxes, as well as other routine cleaning jobs. Must be at least 18 years old and available during the mornings throughout the week. For more information, or if you are interested, please call the shelter (608)269-3525!
Kwik Trip Cards
The cat shelter is currently selling Kwik Trip Cards in a variety of denominations. Profits go to the shelter cats. Please contact the shelter with specific questions!
Mark you calendars! Make a note! Set an alarm! Do whatever it takes to make it to these awesome events that are approaching fast!
When: Sunday, September 20th, 2015
Where: At the Shelter
1801 Old Airport Road
Sparta, WI 54656
Come join us for some fun as we celebrate our extraordinary cats and kittens!
Sparta High School Fall Craft Show
When: Saturday, November 7th, 2015
9:00am - 4:00pm
Where: Sparta High School
506 North Black River Street
Sparta, WI 54656
Check out the crafts, eat some great food, and stop by the AS/AP Cat Shelter booth!
When: Tuesday, December 1st, 2015 *(dates may change as we approach the winter months)
Times to be announced
Where: At the Shelter
1801 Old Airport Road
Sparta, WI 54656
Tickets and prize lists will be available soon!
More information about each individual event will be posted as we get closer to the dates. Please check
back and watch our Facebook feed for updates!
Celebrations of Summer 2015
If you are interested in adopting one of our currently available cats, please contact the shelter to make an appointment!
A day to celebrate our cats!
Today is International Cat Day! In honor of their day, here are 36 fast facts from Mental Floss.com about cats and cats in history!
Why adopt an adult cat vs. a kitten?
Think adult cats are awesome? Emmett and Cuba sure do! When it comes to adopting, many families turn to the kittens first without even looking at the adult cats. There are many benefits to adopting an adult cat, and Little Mews Rescue's article "Adult Cats vs. Kittens" covers ten of them! Here are a few that Emmett and Cuba have decided to share with you! (Click the link to read the full article).
1) When adopting an adult cat "what you see is what you get". Adult cats have already developed their personalities, shelters often know whether or not a cat should do well in a household with young children and/or other pets, and chronic health issues may already be identified. Kittens still need time to grow and develop their personality and can come with a bounty of uncertainty. Cuba wants you to come in to the shelter and check out his laid back, chill personality. He loves being able to sit back and observe the other cats at the shelter as they play, occasionally joining in on the fun himself.
2) Some families may be concerned about having less time to spend with their pet, worried about the older cats ability to bond with their new families at an older age. However, adult cats, when cared for and routine health care visits, can live up to age 15-20 years old! Way of Cats Blog's article "Bonding Differences: Cat vs. Kitten" comments that cats can and will bond with their owner at any age. Emmett says, even though he's 7 years old, he still has a ton of life and love left in him and hopes to be able to spend it with a loving forever home!
3) While many adult cats can be very relaxed and laid back, they can still be a ton of fun! They can be just as playful as a kitten, however they don't have the hyperactivity and unpredictable actions of a kitten. They have had time to learn how to play with their owners in a way that is appropriate and fun, cutting down on many of the common behavior problems.
Over the years, Emmett and Cuba have settled into the shelter and its routines, however they are still hoping to find their forever homes. Our hope at the shelter is that they, and the other cats at the shelter, can find their forever families soon so they can spend the rest of their lives in a loving home with a warm and caring family. It is heartbreaking to watch a pet grow old at a shelter, without a family to call their own.
So the next time you come to the shelter remember to keep your mind and your heart open to the option of adopting an older cat, and keep these top 10 reasons in mind!